Pasta production is an ancient and fascinating art, a tradition that has been combining ancient knowledge with the advantages of technology since the last century. In every exquisite piece of pasta there are processes and special machines known only by professionals.
If our previous article enticed you to open an artisanal or industrial pasta factory, in this article you will discover which are the main machines used in pasta production and what important function they perform.
The most important machineries to produce dry pasta
Dough preparation machinery
- Dosing and measuring systems. Dosing machines accurately measure the quantities of ingredients required for dough preparation: whether it is durum wheat, semolina or any other flour, dosing systems ensure uniformity and consistency in production.
- Kneading machine. The first step in the pasta production is the dough, and the spiral kneading machine is the heart of this phase. This machine mixes the ingredients masterfully, creating a homogeneous, well-blended dough. There are also special types of machines dedicated to particularly delicate or gluten-free dough, which are able to process the dough gently, preserving the structure and quality of the gluten.
Dough molding machines
Whether it is spaghetti, fusilli or shaped pasta, once you have a homogeneous dough, you need to shape it. To do this you will need:
- Press. Presses are machines suitable for producing extruded pasta with the aid of bronze dies. Professional and automatic machines which are able to produce dry pasta, both short and long.The use of bronze dies gives the pasta a unique texture and porosity, allowing it to retain the sauce and guaranteeing an excellent taste. Presses are indispensable tools in many food industries that produce large quantities of high quality pasta.
- Wire Drawing machine. Drawing is the crucial phase to obtain the typical texture of dry pasta. Artisanal wire drawing machines are true works of art capable of producing spaghetti, fusilli, penne and many other shapes with craftsmanship.The dough is passed through a die, a structure consisting of small holes of different shapes, which give the dough its characteristic shape.During drawing, the pasta is compressed and pushed through the holes with a certain amount of pressure, which gives the pasta its al dente texture.Artisanal wire drawing machines are made of bronze, a material that helps create a rough surface on the pasta, facilitating the adherence of the seasonings. Each pasta format requires a specific die, with holes of different sizes and shapes.
- Cutters. The cutters are indispensable for cutting the length and adjusting the thickness of the product. These machines can be customized according to the type of pasta (dry or fresh, flat (such as lasagne) or long (such as tagliatelle) and production requirements.
- Cooker. The cookers are particular machines dedicated to the continuous cooking of pre-cooked pasta in water. It is about a large container filled with water, in which precooked pasta products are immersed. The water is heated and maintained at a constant temperature which varies according to the type of dough and the producer’s preference.The dimensions of the cooker can vary according to production needs, and they can be equipped with automatic control systems to regulate temperature and cooking time.They can be powered by gas or electricity, depending on the producer’s preference.In addition, some cookers can be equipped with water filtering systems to remove any impurities or residual particles during the cooking process. These devices help to reduce production time and allow greater flexibility in managing culinary operations. These machines are used in industry, such as pasta factories, to cook large quantities of pasta in a short time.
- Pre-dryer shaker Pasta shakers are machinery used in the pre-drying phase and for the separation of fresh, filled and pasteurized pasta.With this process, pasta can be dried and packaged more easily, extending its shelf life and preserving its freshness.
- Spreader. It is a particular machinery that precedes the drying of long dry pasta. In fact, with the spreader the long-cut pasta is automatically optimally arranged to be then fed into the dryers.
- Static or continuous dryer Dry pasta requires an accurate drying process to preserve its organoleptic characteristics. The dryers masterfully control the drying process to ensure a perfectly dry and tasty pasta.
Technology and tradition for the production of dry pasta
The art of pasta production merges with the sophisticated technology of industrial machinery, guaranteeing the goodness and tradition of this world-loved food. Each bite of pasta is the result of a symphony of handcrafted creativity and mechanical precision, bringing an authentic culinary experience to our table. Pasta production is a process which requires great attention to detail and in-depth knowledge of the raw materials used. Choosing the grain, milling it and mixing the ingredients are just some of the steps that contribute to a quality product.
The industrial machines, thanks to their advanced technology, provide a uniform and consistent result. However, despite the importance of machines, the art of the pasta maker cannot be replaced. The creativity and the experience of the master pasta maker are essential to obtain superior quality pasta. It is he who determines the right combination of flours, controls the consistency of the dough and adjusts the processing parameters to obtain the perfect dough.
The combination of artisanal tradition and industrial technology makes it possible to produce large quantities of pasta without compromising the final quality. This makes it possible to meet the growing demand for pasta globally, while keeping the authentic taste and value of raw materials intact.
The resulting pasta is a true culinary experience. Every mouthful is a concentrate of flavors and aromas that tell the story of a centuries-old tradition.
Its versatility in the kitchen, combined with the goodness of its flavor, makes it the protagonist of numerous dishes that conquer every palate.
Do you own a dry pasta factory and want to optimise your production lines?
Discover PIM, the specialist in spare parts, maintenance and used machinery for pasta factories.
For over thirty years, PIM has offered its customers a comprehensive service in the resolution and restoration of existing lines,selling not only spare parts but also machines and systems, providing a complete installation, modernisation, maintenance and after-sales service.